Comment on page
Mattermost, Inc. is a company based on the Mattermost open source project, which is a messaging collaboration platform for team communication across mobile, web, and PC with instant search, continuous archiving, and unlimited integrations. Mattermost software is used by thousands of organizations around the world in 16 languages.
What we do: Mattermost, Inc. helps solve collaboration challenges for developers, operators & security teams so organizations can focus on business-critical tasks.
Who we serve: Our Ideal Customer Profile (“ICP”) is an enterprise, defense or governmental organization with 2,500+ employees in need of a collaboration platform for mission critical work that meets complex requirements for security, compliance and self-sovereignty. ICP organizations have significant in-house Dev/Sec/Ops talent and the ability to deploy and secure self-managed infrastructure.
We believe that mission critical work is hampered by one or more of the following;
- Risk from non-compliance
- End of Life of existing systems
- Lack of resilience at scale during infrastructure failure or breach
- Competitive Risk
- Need to preserve sovereignty
- Noise/gaps of MS Teams/general collab tools for tech/operational orgs
- Risk from gaps in Mattermost Team Edition for large organizations
- Low efficiency, high delay and error rates due to inflexible platform
- Need interconnect outside of AD domains and CAC systems
What we offer: Mattermost is a secure collaboration platform for accelerating mission critical work in complex environments. We connect teams, tools and processes on a self-sovereign hub with workflow, integrations, real-time messaging, voice, screen share and federation to deliver more focused, adaptable and resilient decision cycles and outcomes.
Mattermost’s mission is to make the world safer and more productive by developing and delivering secure, open source collaboration software.
Leadership principles are deliberate choices defining our behavior. When facing complexity, uncertainty, or ambiguity (CUA) we determine our point of view and our actions through the lens of our values:
- Customer Obsession: We exist to make customers successful. In everything we do, start with customer perspective and work backwards. Earn and keep their trust.
- Ownership: Own the outcomes of your activity. Don’t drop the ball. When we see a vacuum on something important, we jump in – we never say “it’s not my job.”
- High Impact: Align work to our shared vision and focus on those priorities. When deciding to work on low impact or high impact projects, choose high impact.
- Self-Awareness: We understand and seek to understand our strengths and growth opportunities, as individuals and organizations. We are open to critique and share critique constructively and respectfully.
- Earn Trust: Make decisions based on maximizing the trust of others in your judgement. Be open, self-critical, and factual. Earn and keep peoples' trust.
We see a $30B+ market opportunity in the secure collaboration space and the growth of “open source collaboration” accelerating vs proprietary solutions. Open source has already commoditized operating systems, databases, tooling, and virtualization infrastructure. We see the entry of open source into the application layer driving fast adoption of a new generation of open source and open core solutions, inherently more flexible, trustworthy, and economical than past models.
Mattermost is an open source, remote-first, communities-centered company based in Palo Alto, California and headquartered on the internet.
Open source means that by default we make our technology, business process and source code available to the public. We develop a small portion as proprietary technology, built upon our open source work, to license for subscription fees that enable more high quality open source work to be produced. Since the start of the Mattermost open source project in 2015, we have used this model to develop effective open source solutions for the world to use. This model is sometimes called Thin Open Core.
Remote-first means that the majority of our staff works from home, cottages, coffee shops and other personal areas, rather than at a shared corporate office location. Mattermost was born in an extraordinary age where remote-first organizations can attract, hire and enable remote teams to produce better technology, business process and business results in less time than office-based teams, while maintaining security and compliance standards.
Remote-first culture flourishes when we share one simple principle: Courtesy. Courtesy means Mattermosters are thoughtful about keeping our communities appropriately informed, following etiquette for discussions, calls and video meetings, and giving and receiving feedback on how to work better together. Courtesy also means we gladly accommodate those who prefer to work out of a dedicated office. We are remote-first, not remote-only.
Communities-centered means we define our success in the context of the success of our communities: users, customers, implementers, resellers, technology partners, contributors, and colleagues. The success of each community is owned by a member of the Mattermost leadership team. The plural definition of “communities” is intended to avoid unconsciously marginalizing downstream stakeholders.
Based in Palo Alto, California and headquartered on the internet means the mailing address for Mattermost, Inc. is in Palo Alto, California, and our headquarters is on the internet, specifically the production-quality Mattermost instance at https://community.mattermost.com. Our online headquarters is where Mattermost staff work with our communities of colleagues, users, partners, customers, candidates, contributors, and other community members to envision, develop, and refine new open source technologies to make the world safer and more productive.