Offboarding instructions for managers
- 1.Forward staff member's resignation letter/email to MLT member and HR [email protected] The resignation letter/email will be stored in BambooHR.Note: A resignation letter/email is required from departing staff. In most cases and depending upon the statutory requirements in the staff member’s country/region, a minimum of two weeks' notice is required for voluntary departures.
- 2.Complete the Manager Offboarding Checklist which is used to indicate:
- Systems that need to be deprovisioned.
- Confirm whether emails need to be forwarded to a manager/selected team member for a period following staff member’s departure.
- Confirm if there are any company-owned files in Google Drive that need to be transferred to you.
- Review and approve any outstanding expense reports.
- 3.If the departing team member is a CAO for any vendors, systems, or contractors, communicate changes to Finance regarding:
- Which vendors need to be transitioned (billing approvals, main point of contact).
- Status confirmation on open procurement requests and transition procurement DRI via [email protected] Include: most recent email exchange and new vendor DRI.
- Transfer ownership of any software accounts to Finance or a different team DRI. Notify Systems channel of the change.
- 4.Confirm Communication Plan with HR. Managers may also share:
- Staff member’s termination details, including: date, final vacation balance (if located in Canada, UK, or Germany).
- If needed, provide context on what led to the staff member’s resignation.
- Confirm who will be taking over staff member’s responsibilities in the interim.
- 5.Termination Retrospective with HR or Team MLT. This is not a formal retrospective, but is an opportunity to understand how to improve as a function, team, and company. HR may initiate this during Step 3, and will also request Manager feedback on:
- Confirm rehire eligibility (if resignation was regrettable, not regrettable).
- 1.Update the Handbook: If applicable, update your team list and any content that may include outdated contact information.
Thank the departing staff member for their contributions and wish them the best for the future. Every person that joins Mattermost is part of the team and welcome to join our Community and stay in touch in whatever capacity feels most comfortable.
HR will reach out to the departing staff member to communicate last day instructions and details and to schedule an exit interview.
- 1.Forward your resignation letter/email to MLT member and HR [email protected] The resignation letter/email will be stored in BambooHR.Note: A resignation letter/email is required from departing staff. In most cases and depending upon the statutory requirements in the staff member’s country/region, a minimum of two weeks' notice is required for voluntary departures.
- 2.Work with your Manager to develop a transition plan, Communication Plan, and Communication Timeline. We encourage team members to make meaningful connections and encourage departing team members to say goodbye to peers, or optionally post in the Stand-up Channel. We just ask to align with your Manager on timeline of messaging so that direct teammates or working groups can be informed with an adequate plan ahead of departure.
- 3.Share feedback (optional). Input is highly encouraged and helps the People team understand likes and wishes as they relate to your experience at Mattermost and helps identify opportunities to improve.
- Exit Survey: All departing staff will receive an Exit Survey feedback request through CultureAmp. The survey link will be sent via email after the termination date is recorded in BambooHR.
- Exit interview with HR: Staff who leave on a voluntary basis will be invited to share feedback on their Mattermost experience in an exit interview with HR. The results of the exit interview will be shared with the departing team member’s manager and MLT. You may keep all or parts of your feedback confidential - as long as it does not involve matters that legally require additional action by the HR team. While exit interviews are not mandatory, we greatly appreciate your feedback about what is going well and what can be improved to continue making Mattermost a great place to work.
- 4.Equipment. Staff members have the option to buy back their existing hardware when they are offboarding. Refer to the Hardware Buy Back Policy for more details. If staff members opt not to keep or purchase their existing hardware, they will need to return the equipment to Mattermost.Note: You do not need to, and you will not be asked to, return home office equipment, such as: desk, chair, laptop stand, etc.
- 5.Sign the Role Completion Form. All departing staff will receive a Role Completion Form via DocuSign.
- 6.Stay in touch. Thank you for your time at Mattermost. Every person that joins Mattermost is part of the team and welcome to join our Community and stay in touch in whatever capacity feels most comfortable.
Work with the departing staff member on the messaging around their departure. Confirm timeline of messaging and request that the staff member refrain from sharing info ahead of the planned timeline.
Communicate the agreed-upon messaging around the departure with the relevant team, department, and any other appropriate groups as soon as possible. This is important to reinforce asynchronous communication. Silence and/or lack of communication can lead to confusion, misalignment, conjecture, gossip, and insecurity. Include the departing staff member in the announcement if they are comfortable participating in the discussion.
To avoid “@ all” departure emails/Mattermost messages, invite the departing staff member to draft a message to be shared in the Stand-Up Channel. This message should be reviewed by the departing staff member's manager and HR.
Managers should ensure that a knowledge transfer plan is in place with the departing staff member. This may include:
- Overview of current projects and stakeholders in those projects.
- Overview of priority and recurring projects/tasks.
- Overview of files and systems used regularly. Request transfer of files.
- What files does their successor need access to?
- Regular Mattermost contacts (and contacts outside the organization if applicable) that need to be informed of the transition.
For issues related to performance development and performance management, reach out to HR.