- Run a bug bash at least for major releases.
- Bug bashes can either be run asynchronously/individually or as a group.
- Use a playbook to run bug bashes - example bug bash playbook.
- PMs can assign test assignments and testers under the "Testing areas" checklist item.
- Decide environments to test on - normally community-daily or rc.test.mattermost.com + include Mobile and Desktop app environments.
- Decide date(s) for the bug bash.
- Announce bug bash on the day when the bug bash starts.
- Invite community members to participate in the bug bash.
- Triage owner (normally Release Manager) - review reported issues to identify what to fix for the upcoming release and open/assign tickets to teams.
- State benefits first.
- Order features based on benefit for end users.
- Include links to docs where appropriate.
- Check/test if the issue was in previous server version.
- All sections
- Check that all sections are written and formatted the same way as in previous changelogs.
- Work with Devs on this section.
- Next version
- If the changelog mentions items regarding upcoming versions, move them to the bottom of the changelog.
Ways to meet deadlines
- Post a list of dates for next release at or soon after T-0 and ping all of the teams.
- For features and bugs, start pinging early enough before due dates and make public posts.
- When pinging people, provide a clear due date and give a reason for the due date (e.g., Code Complete on Monday).
- Ask if people need any help or have any questions.
- Monitor progress of translations at https://translate.mattermost.com/ and ping language maintainers a few days before due date if they're not getting to 100%.
- Ask DevOps to submit a new translations PR if a translation deadline extension is requested.
- Target date for final translations PR is T-5, but T-3 is acceptable.
- Features guidelines:
- Start to ping people already at T-15 or earlier for feature PRs that are still open.
- Bugs guidelines:
- Need to focus on fixing only S1 and S2 bugs after T-5 to avoid missing T-2 deadline for cutting the final.
Ways to ensure features are tested for HA/Mobile/Scale
- HA: Test server available.
- Scale: Via loadtests.